[nagdu] Clicker training

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jul 18 14:31:54 UTC 2013

Hi, Leye, and welcome back!

I am a blind owner-trainer who used clicker training almost exclusively,
and I have been very happy to see the schools begin to incorporate that,
along with other aspects of positive training methods. I learned a lot
about clicker-training from other blind clicker-trainers.

So that tells you something about the notion that blind people can't use
clicker-training! As with anything else, we simply have to adapt some
things to use it successfully. The dogs can deal, believe it or not! /smile/

The clicker is simply a means to reward the dog for doing what you want
it to do, called "capturing behavior." It works like verbal praise,
really, except that the click can come more immediately and capture
behavior more exactly. So your dog stops spot on at the curb. Click! The
click is given with or closely followed by a treat. Some people always
use the click and the treat together. Others condition the dog to
associate the click with the treat then use the treats only sometimes.

That's the very basic. It's very simple, really, although you can go
nuts with applied operant conditioning, which is more complex. But
essentially, you are simply communicating to your dog that it has done
the right thing and rewarding it for doing so. You can tell your dog
stopped at the curb, blind as you are, so you know when to click. /smile/

If you have more questions about it, some of those super
clicker-trainers I learned so much from are also on this list, so you
can always get answers!

Tami