[nagdu] Clicker training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jul 18 15:49:20 UTC 2013

Sure blind people can use clicker training.   I think sighted people say
that blind people can't use it because we can't do clicker in exactly the
same way as sighted people.  For example when I was training my last guide,
Belle, I was working with a sighted trainer.  She insisted that the very
first thing I had to teach the dog was eye contact.  I was supposed to click
and treat each time she looked at me.  then I was supposed to increase the
distance and reward for looking at me from across the room.  I'm sure you
can see the problems with this plan.  It's impractical, but even more so,
it's useless.  Never in my work with my guide dog am I going to use this eye
contact behavior.  It makes no sense to teach useless behaviors.

So then I found an email list for blind and visually impaired people who
were using clicker training.  I quit trying to use clicker training like a
sighted person.  I evaluated what exactly I wanted to accomplish, which was
getting my dog's attention.  I didn't need eye contact to get her attention.
I could accomplish that through a different behavior.  I taught her to touch
her nose to two of my extended fingers when I asked her to do so.  I could
very easily teach this behavior because I have no difficulty knowing when
she is touching my hand.

Once you understand this part of clicker training you can apply it to any
situation where you want to teach the dog something.  Stop thinking in
sighted terms.  Dig deep to uncover what it is specifically that you are
trying to accomplish.  Be creative in identifying solutions that will
accomplish this goal that will work for you and then just do it.

As long as you are working directly with your dog, typical of guide dogs,
you should be able to come up with workable blindness alternatives.  the
only areas I've encountered that I haven't been able to come up with great
solutions are when I am a distance away from my dog.  Generally I work close
to my dogs and increase distance slowly to be sure that the behavior is
really reliable.  For a typical guide dog there is little to nothing they
need to do from a distance anyway, so this challenge doesn't really matter.

Tami summed up the basic mechanics of clicker training very well.  The click
means the dog did something you wanted at that precise moment.  Each click
earns a reward, usually food.  There are more advanced concepts like
successive approximations, variable reinforcement and the like, but the core
of clicker training is that click means the dog did something you wanted and
that a reward is coming.

HTH