[nagdu] safari park question

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 19 19:19:20 UTC 2013

Martha,
	We had representatives from the Association of oos & Aquariums at
our meeting on July 1 to discuss this issue. In order for any entity to deny
or restrict access to a disabled individual accompanied by a service animal,
they must demonstrate that the presence of the dog poses a direct threat - a
substantial risk to the health or safety of others that cannot be eliminated
by a modification of policies, practices or procedures - or that the animal
is out of control and the handler does not take immediate effective action
to correct it. A direct threat must be clear and present (obvious and real)
not just an assumption that something may happen.
	In addition to the federal law, your state may also have laws to
protect your access and these laws may actually be stronger than federal law
and offer better remedies. In which state is this zoo? If you need more
information, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me. My contact
information is below my signature.

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789 (Office)
888-NAGDU411 (Hotline
President at nagdu.org