[nagdu] blazing trails with tails.

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Jul 21 16:02:24 UTC 2013

Daniel,

I do wonder about all those sighted people just hanging around waiting
for us to ask them for help everywhere we go since we can't figure
things out ourselves and they have nothing better to do... Sheesh!

I just get up and go. Did that with my cane, do that with my dog. It
works. I do find out as much as I can about a new area or new route,
whether through internet research or by asking questions of people I may
know in the area. It can help to know how the area is laid out, how the
streets run, etc. In a new city, figuring out the naming conventions is
helpful, too. And I'm not afraid to ask for directions along the way, or
to ask an innocent bystander the  name of the street I'm on if I've
forgotten to count blocks, stuff like that. I have a fairly good sense
of direction, which helps, although when it goes haywire, then so do I.
Fortunately, for those times, I also enjoy unexpected adventures, so
long as they don't make me horribly late for something. My poodle guide
is also great at finding any number of useful landmarks of various
types, so I love that. She does get a little put out if I go awry and
end up doing a lot of back and forth trying to get back to the last
place I actually knew where I was. /smile/

Heading out for new horizons is a time it's good to have a pocket cane
of some sort for added information gathering. Also, if you have hearing,
that's very helpful in picking up things about your location from
context... Maybe I'm being too obvious there. I know folks without
hearing, or not much of it, who can sally forth and conquer, but I have
no idea how they do it. I use mine a lot, and also use the clicker for
echolocation, even with my cane. Don't know when I started doing that
during/after the training process, or how it didn't confuse my dog, but
there we go. When the wind is blowing or I have a head cold or
something, things get iffier for us.

I would say that it doesn't hurt when finding new routes to be willing
to admit defeat when, say, a five-way intersection is just too dangerous
and go the extra mile to find a better way even when you're really
tired. Well, I've done some adventuring when I was having fatigue issues
where really tired meant picking up one foot or the other was really the
hardest thing in the world to do... When I'm not having fatigue issues,
then having to go around a few blocks isn't a huge deal.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Tami