[nagdu] close call

Meghan Whalen mewhalen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 06:01:54 UTC 2013

Thank you for this message, Julie.

As most people know, I trained my last guide from about 12 weeks of age.
He grew up with several other dogs in my home, and he played with many
other dogs as he grew up. He was very friendly towards other dogs.
Sometimes when he was working, if he saw another dog, he would let out a
little woof of excitement, but ht was not aggressive. As he got older,
this behavior subsided and stopped, and he could work past any dog with
no reaction. Then he got attacked. Once in a play group with a few
friends' dogs and their friends' dogs, once at the park and twice while
he was working. The first three encounters left no marks, but they each
left him very jumpy and required a lot of desensatizing on my part. The
fourth time, he was pretty chewed up, and I was never able to get him
over it.

He was only two years old when the last attack happened. I worked with
him for about four months. During that time, he turned three. He was
barking, growling and getting physically ill any time he had to work in
close proximity to other dogs. He was a huge investment of time, heart
and energy, but he was not the same dog I had trained from a little
puppy. He was no longer emotionally sound enough to do the work. Though
it toar my heart out, I recognized that he was not at all what a
well-manored guide should be, so I retired him. We had worked hard
together for almost three years, but several short situations in which
other people were irresponsible with their dogs undid all of our time
together.

It was very sad, but it was one of those time where I couldn't let
anyone else make the decision for me. I couldn't be the woman with the
growly guide dog, so I retired him.

I guess my point is that even though he was a huge training commitment
on my part, I managed him as long as I could after the attacks, but I
never made excuses for him, and I took his behavior into consideration
at all times.

These dogs are our safety and our image when we are out working them,
and it is definitely up to us to handle them properly and not to set
them up for failure. Dayton now lives on 80 acres where he never has to
have the pressure of guiding me again. I miss him like crazy almost
every day, but he is living in the moment. He was only aggressive when
his harness was on, so I took that pressure away from him, and though it
toar out a bit of my soul, I wouldn't have done it any differently.

Please don't make excuses for dogs when they have become a potential
hazard to others. Situations can change them very drastically. Set them
up for success whenever you can.

I probably should have written this when I was more awake, but I hope
the point of my message is in here somewhere.

Meghan