[nagdu] greetings. access issue

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 30 13:43:55 UTC 2013

Jeff,
	Congratulations on getting your first guide dog! This will likely be
the first of many access issues you will encounter during your life as it
pertains to your guide dog. My first piece of advice is to familiarize
yourself with the many excuses you will get for discriminating against you
as a guide dog user and learning how to best resolve these issues. I have
attached to this message some information you may want to share with your
gym and I will answer your questions as best I am able. Please feel free to
call the NAGDU Information & Advocacy Hotline and/or refer anyone with
questions to it, as well.
	The implementing regulations of the ADA make it very clear that
allergies and fear of animals are generally not valid reasons to exclude a
person with a disability accompanied by a service dog unless the person's
allergy rises to the level of a disability, something that is extremely rare
(.05%). Someone who is so allergic to dog dander would likely have a
reaction to the mere presence of dog dander on someone's clothing!
Therefore, the place of public accommodation must modify its policies,
practices, and procedures to allow a person with a disability accompanied by
a service dog the full priveleges of the goods and/or services they provide.

	Again, if you or the gym have any questions, please do not hesitate
to get in touch with us. Our contact information is below my signature.

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789 (Office)
888-NAGDU411 (Hotline
President at nagdu.org