[nagdu] Help for obese dogsRE: Control of Guide Dog Issue

L Gwizdak leg1950 at cox.net
Wed Jul 31 23:12:13 UTC 2013

At Seeing Eye, we have lecture about the proper feeding of the dogs -
includes types of good foods to feed and about NOT feeding people food.  The
dogs are fed a certain amount based on the dog's weight and activity level
and our instructors tell us how to feed our dogs.  I think they really will
get into this now that the students are given a bin of food that is kept in
the room and the student feeds his or her own dog while on class.  Before
this change, the instructor would come around to the rooms at 5:30am and at
4pm with the pre-filled bowls of food.

Sometimes, after going home, the amount may need to be adjusted based on the
dog's stress level is lower as the dog gets used to things in the new home
and the working schedule changes.  While on class, the instructors teach us
how to assess the dog's weight - when we'd need to either increase the feed
or decrease it.

Landon gets a food sort of like IAMS called Pet Worth from the Midwest.
I've fed this food for the last 13 years to my dogs and they do well on it.
I feed two cups in the morning and one cup at suppertime.  Landon's weight
is good.

ONe of the things that needs to be taken into consideration is that we get
the dogs young - betwen 20 or 24 months old and they are not yet filled out
as they will be after they are three or four years old. In all my years of
having guide dogs, I find that the dogs are kept thinner at the school and
they like one weight and our vets will say a bit higher weight is fine.  If
you can feel the dog's ribs and the dog has an hourglass shape - there are
visible hips, your gdog is fine.  Landon wears the same harness he got when
we were on class.  If you have to get a new, bigger harness, then you may
want to assess the dog's weight.

Labs tend to pack on the weight because they are bred to have more body fat
due to the years of breeding for cold water work that they were originally
bred to do - duck hunting retrieval.  They will eat anything.  I have, too,
seen many guide Labs that are obese because the owners do litle walking
themselves thus a couch potato dog.  Many times, the person is also obese.
NOTE: Not a judgement call on my part; just an observation of my over 40
years of being around lots of blind folks and their guide dogs.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown