[nagdu] My turn to go to school

Daniel daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 5 20:15:35 UTC 2013

Hi,
I can't stress the walking before you go. You might think you walk enough
now, but the new type of walking is what gets you. You will be bending your
foot up at the curb, and then down again so many times it will work muscles
you didn't know you had. You will be doing a lot of footwork, pointing to
curbs, sides of pavement and the like. Just do the exercises that stretch
your calf and hamstring muscles. A woman in my class did sets of figure 8's
all the time. Unfortunately I was not prepared and came back with serious
Planter's problems. It hurt for weeks afterwards. So, please do not take
this lightly.
As for getting ready, just have food, bags, and plan on where you are going
to relieve your dog on a regular basis. It will be the first thing you do
when you get home, so be ready to make a bee line to that spot. The new baby
may or may not like a bed, so wait before you spend the money. You will
probably get a mat; this will do until you are home for a bit. They will
probably give you grooming tools too, so wait to spend money on those too.
Who knows about the house? Common sense says put the trash cans away or put
lids on them, put up the small stuff that might look like a toy, but after
that it depends on the dog. My first dog never bothered a thing from the day
he came home. I could leave anything on the floor, table, floor and he would
leave it alone. Now with Cass it is different story. She will leave
everything alone with the exception of something on the floor that looks
like a toy - like a plastic cover, foil pan and the most repeated thievery
of all is my socks. My socks disappear at every turn, when I get up in the
morning they are gone, but I usually find them in her bed. If not there they
are on her bed downstairs. What can I say; the girl has a thing for my
socks.
What I don't think you will ever have to worry about is the dog being
destructive. Maybe a bit mischievous at times, but I doubt that anything
will ever be demolished. It seems all of the getting in to is just a bit of
fun.
Hope my 2 cents helps a little.

Daniel and Cass
Lakewood, Colorado