[nagdu] Choosing and communicating with your dog's vet

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Thu Jun 6 20:18:38 UTC 2013

Hello to all,

The following information may be old hat to many of us on this list, but the
good advice in this article is great for those who are thinking of getting a
dog, or actually ready to begin the adventure.

Sherrill

When you take your pet to the veterinarian, you probably have two goals in
mind: Getting your pet
the best treatment possible and staying within your budget.
A routine examination, in addition to detecting illnesses in the early
stages,
can be an ideal opportunity to learn how to prevent illness and keep your
pet
healthy. At the vet’s office, ask these questions:
- What’s the best food for my pet? Animals are similar to humans when it
comes
to staying healthy. Health begins with proper nutrition.
- What foods can be toxic for my pet? Chocolate and raisins, for example,
are
among several foods that dogs should never eat.
- How much food should my pet eat? Over-eating and under-eating are not just
human problems. Pets, however, must rely on humans to manage their eating.
- How often should I bathe my pet? No one likes a smelly animal. Your vet
can
help you manage animal cleanliness. Make sure you inquire about washing
specific
areas, such as ears and eyes.
- What allergies are common to my pet and what can I do about them? Dog
illnesses -- itching, watery eyes, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea -- can be
the
result of allergies. Your vet can help you prevent some pet allergies before
they occur.
- How do I get rid of fleas? Fleas, in addition to being a nuisance, can
cause
serious illness. Vets can suggest prescription and over-the-counter
remedies.
Pet illness
Since animals can’t talk, they need someone to communicate for them when
they’re
ill. You are your pet’s best friend, so learn what to communicate to the
vet.
Try the following questions:
- Why does my pet ... ? Be sure to specify exactly what it is your pet is
doing
and find out why. Many pet illnesses can be prevented with a little bit of
advice from the doctor.
- What can I do to prevent this from happening again? This should always be
follow-up question once you find out why your pet is sick.
- How much is this going to cost?
- Are alternative treatments available?
Finding a vet
The most important questions you can ask are the ones you ask before you
choose
a vet.
- What are your procedures if there’s an emergency? An after-hours
emergency?
Don’t wait for Fido or Fluffy to get injured before finding out what to do.
- Are other doctors on duty? Having multiple doctors on hand decreases the
waiting time for emergency visits.
- How long have you been practicing veterinary medicine?
- Do you offer payment plans for surgeries and other costly procedures? Most
vets will work with you in regards to payments.
- Are you accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association?