[nagdu] First time poster

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sun Jun 9 15:01:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

Welcome aboard, and also to the whole guide dog lifestyle thingy.

I want to expand a little bit on what Tracy said. Bottom line: telling your classmates about your dog isn't your professor's responsibility, it's yours. I, personally, wouldn't leave something that important to someone else anyway, for two reasons. Well, at least two, but I can't count a lot higher than that. First, because it's not someone else's responsibility. But second, and as important, your professor doesn't know your dog, and likely has little knowledge of how the whole thing works anyway

In my hundred or so years of experience, I've developed the following dog interaction philosophy. If we're doing something, like crossing a street or what not, or walking, or I'm in the middle of another conversation with someone else, and someone asks to pet my dog, or rudely interrupts my conversation to hatter on about my dog, I don't allow it. If my dog can handle it and we're not doing anything, I might. It may seem arbitrary, but like Bobby Brown said, it's my prerogative, I can do whatever I want. But that's only half, and the least important half. More to the point, I can control what I do. I can control what my dog does. I can control how my dog and I react to a given situation. What I can't control is what idiots out there in the general public do. Therefore, I know that people will pet my dog without my permission, consent, or even knowledge. If my dog reacts to this inappropriately, he gets corrected, whatever a correction entails for him. This is usually quite effective, both for the dog and for the interfering idiot, who gets upset that my dog got in trouble. I'm sure to let them know that they got him in trouble, whether by directly telling them or by making sure they see the dog get in trouble.

But whatever I do, or anyone else does, you're going to learn all the basics when you start training. You'll be able to build on that.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY