[nagdu] How long is "successful"

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Tue Jun 11 04:10:43 UTC 2013

I think that success needs to be measured in a couple of different
categories. For example, is a school successful if it has a lot of working
teams, but a high percentage of its dogs do not make it to be guide dogs
because of medical conditions that they have developed  or could develop?
Yes and no. They are successful in their training, but not in their
breeding. For me, successful is when at least one of the following is true:
1. (Best case scenario) The dog has relatively few behavioral and health
problems and retires at a fairly old age (8, 9, 10).
2. The dog has to be retired because of an unforeseen behavioral or health
problem.
3. The dog is retired because of a relatively minor behavioral problem that,
for one reason or another, has finally come to a head, but the dog was fine
otherwise.
I do not consider it success if a dog that has a high probability of
developing a health problem is placed in the field and then has to be
retired early.
One of the key elements to success, I think, is trying to match the handler
with a dog that has a similar personality. I have known people who received
dogs that just did not fit their personality, and, JMHO, the schools made a
bad match.