[nagdu] Owning a guide while allergic to dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jun 19 14:12:40 UTC 2013

Hi Noah.
Welcome to the list.  I happen to be a Seeing Eye graduate, with a black
lab, but I'm not allergic.  I recently read that TSE tests allergic people
with the dog they have in mind for that person.  It seems that a person may
be allergic to one dog in a breed, and not another.  I think I read that
they might select the dog suited to you, then send you some fur from that
dog and see how you react.  That should work, if it's dander you're allergic
to.  If you're allergic to dog spit, the process would be different.  The
new theory seems to be that people can be allergic to even so-called
hypo-allergenic breeds, and that it's better to try to test against specific
dogs.  And it gives everyone wider options to draw from.
I have also heard that some people wipe down the dog with a mild moisturizer
to remove more dander than is removed by brushing.

So I think Marsha is right; the first thing you need to find out is if
you're allergic to dander, or to saliva.
HTH.
Tracy