[nagdu] Fw: [Njagdu] Same gender screening for dogs at airport

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Jun 22 14:52:34 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Ginger Kutsch
To: New Jersey Association of Guide Dog Users
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 11:26 AM
Subject: [Njagdu] Same gender screening for dogs at airport

FYI. In preparation for the upcoming TSA focus group meeting, The Seeing Eye requested feedback from its grads about their airport screening experiences at security checkpoints.

A number of grads reported concern over delays when TSA officers call for a same gender officer to pat down the dog. I emailed TSA to ask about this procedure and here is the response:

"Our procedures do not require same gender screening of service animals, so these officers are in error if they are saying that this is TSA's

policy.  I recommend that they inform the officer up front (at the

beginning of screening) that they are comfortable with opposite gender

screening of the animal."

The grads reporting this issue stated that they were first asked what gender their dogs were before a same gender officer was called so this could also be an alternative time to speak up.

Best,

Ginger