[nagdu] Owning a guide while allergic to dogs

L Gwizdak leg1950 at cox.net
Sun Jun 23 18:43:58 UTC 2013

Welcome, Noah.

Although I don't have dog allergies - mine are to six-legged critters - I
can tell you about a friend who had dog allergies and had a guide.

I lived with this woman and she was very allergic to cats and less so to
dogs. She used a guide dog for many years before allergies and other things
caused her to stop guide dog use.  This was back in the 1970s and '80s and
I'm sure, there are better methods of allergy control now.  Anyway, the
people I know have said that they react more to German shepherds more than
they react to Labs or Goldens.  Since we both had dogs - both Labs, I
groomed the dogs and we kept the place vacuumed.

Is this going to be your first guide dog?  My allergic friends have said
that they found home training better becvause they didn't have all the dogs
and their dander present in the dorm to contend with.  Also, find an
allergist who is animal-friendly if you can.  In the past, many doctors told
allergic patients to just get rid of the animal.  I do know that nowadays,
allergic people can live with their animal and do fine on medications,
animal and house care.  I hear that a "vaccine" can be made up from your
particular dog's dander for you to take shots of to help your body to get
used to and, hopefully, not react to as much.  I don't know how successful
this route is but it is worth a try.

I am Lyn and I am on my eighth guide dog.  I have Landon, a red Golden/Lab
cross from The Seeing Eye.  Landon is seven and a half years old.  We live
in San Diego, CA and do pet assisted therapy with our local Humane Society's
program along with a well-rounded life both in and outside the blind
community.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the list.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown