[nagdu] [nard] The Differences in Dogs and Canes

Daniel daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 28 16:17:29 UTC 2013

Carol,

I carry my folding cane with me all the time. It is always in my backpack. I will use when I find myself in a situation where I am somewhere that I have not been before, and am very unfamiliar with the layout.
To explain better, I got off the bus yesterday and was going to a community center I have not been to. I found there was no sidewalk. I thought I could follow the curb with Cass, but there were cars parked on both sides of the street. Rather than stress out Cass because I was nervous, I heeled the girl, whipped out my cane and used to guide me through the cars and other dead ends along the way. I don't like to not be able to give good directions to the girl if I don't know where I am. It is different if it is somewhere we have been before and I get confused, she can figure it out.
Like someone else said earlier, I use the cane to pattern the girl in every new situation. The difference is, I do not use the harness handle when I do. I will always heel her. After we have done that, I will return to the beginning and pick up the harness handle and go ahead like normal working time. Oh, I almost forgot, I will also give her kibble rewards along the way when we are patterning the route so she will remember where I want her to go. It has worked each and every time I have done this.
This is the way she was apparently trained by her trainers at GDB, and the way they instructed me to train her.
When I am a good papa, I try to remember to use my clicker too. The only problem is I am not very coordinated all the time, no, make that most of the time. I do good to put one foot in front of the other most of the time. But sometimes I will remember to use the clicker and she responds wonderfully to this.
So, to make a long story short, I strongly recommend using the cane with your guide, just not when working.

You can always contact me off list if you have any questions, and I would happy to explain further. Hope this is helpful.

Daniel and Cass
Lakewood, Colorado
Daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net