[nagdu] Effective Training - Was Training Programs at NAGDU Meetings

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 29 11:31:47 UTC 2013

	I am of the opinion that good training should include exposure to as
many envnironments and conditions as feasible. Not only is it true that we
may encounter new circumstances as we improve our mobility, many of the
skills we learn in novel environments are transferable to other
circumstances while enhancing our overall confidence and mobility. For
instance, though we do not have subways in Florida, subway training is a
valuable element of training where such an exposure is possible. Riding a
subway is very different than riding a bus and reinforces the competence of
mobility. Furthermore, as I traveled to convention in Philadelphia, I had
the occasion to use a subway. My wife and I will be traveling to Boston to
visit our new grandson soon and to New York during the holidays, so we have
had and will again have the opportunity to ride the subway.

	Airline pilots don't plan on engaging emergency procedures, but the
result of not being prepared for such an eventuality would make a pilot
incompetent. It is for this reason all pilots are required to fly in
simulated adverse conditions in order to become licensed. Similarly, it is
for this reason effective, sound guide dog training should include traffic
checks. Not including them calls into question the competence of the
program! JMHO!

Marion Gwizdala