[nagdu] finding the end of a line...

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 23:07:57 UTC 2013

Hi Marsha and all,

I think that for a deaf blind person, it might be the most efficient
to ask someone or get one of the store employees or something to help.
 But that doesn't always work.  I think that teaching your dog to find
the end of the line might be a good option too, but you would have to
use your foot to feel for the person in front of you, kind of like a
cane user with a cane--for that matter, I suppose you could whip out a
cane and check that way too.  Of course, if there are multiple lines,
it would be more difficult.  But I think in a familiar environment,
you could learn where the different lines are and wouldn't have as
much of a problem.

I think there is an app that will give you the layout of a building or
something.  I don't know much about it, but it might be a suggestion.
You could also try going to a new place at a time you know it won't be
very crowded.  Like, if you want to try a new restaurant by yourself,
have a late lunch or something.  That way you will have less noise to
deal with if you are hard of hearing, and less people around you to
make lines more confusing.

I am not deaf blind, but I love thinking up different strategies for
things.  I know there are some deaf blind people on this list, and I'm
sure they have much better ideas.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National