[nagdu] Use of Canes while at Guide Dog Training Programs; was: RE: The Differences in Dogs and Canes

Shannon Dyer solsticesinger at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 01:48:12 UTC 2013

I received my first guide in the summer of 1997. At that time, GDF preferred students not to use canes in the building. However, when I returned in 2005, I heard nothing about canes. The same was true last August when I got my third dog. I used my cane in the building in both 2005 and 2012. No one said anything about it one way or another. Some students chose not to use a cane, but there were a number of us who did.

I agree that running into things or falling down flights of stairs doesn't make anyone look dignified. It also wouldn't do much to instill confidence.

Hopefully, training programs are becoming a bit less rigid when it comes to cane policies. Obviously, I can only speak of my own experience at GDF.

Shannon and Ace
Shannon Dyer
Alumni Council Member,
Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, Inc
®  and
America's VetDogs®,  The Veteran's K-9 Corps Inc ®
Providing "Second Sight" ® since 1946
371 E. Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown, NY 11787
Office: 631-930-9000, Toll-free: 866-282-8047
solsticesinger at gmail.com
To make a donation that can change a life...contact the Guide Dog Foundation at
www.guidedog.org
or America's VetDogs the Veterans K-9 Corps at
www.vetdogs.org
Visit us on facebook at:
www.facebook.com/GuideDogFoundation or www.facebook.com/AmericasVetDogs