[nagdu] Odie the four-legged furry hero

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 30 15:01:36 UTC 2013

Hi, all,
Odie is my four-legged furry hero this morning.
I took him out earlier so he could go potty and then I planned on brushing him outside.
It started to rain a little, so we had to go back inside for a few minutes.
Once it stopped, I was able to get him back outside.
Now to why he's my hero...
I overheard from an on-call maintenance worker speaking with the security guard/volunteer fire fighter Ryan there was a problem with a sprinkler head and that Mountain Alarms would have to come out to fix it.
I had that sense the troublesome sprinkler head was going to trip the fire alarm and sure enough while I was back outside in front of the building brushing my son, the fire alarm went off.
Odie could also feel that it was going to happen and like me, he was right.
As the alarm was going and building strobe lights were flashing, He alerted to it and indicated that I needed to stay facing Larimer street with my back toward the apartment complex.
I was prepared for if Odie was going to have to push me down on to the ground and lie down on top of me, I was ready.
That would have been necessary if I was going into a full blown convulsive grandmal seizure.
Luckily, that didn't have to happen.
Ryan, the guard came out and warned me the fire trucks would be coming.
By then, I really didn't have too much of a choice, but to remain calm and continue to brush Odie.
When our friends from the fire department a block from us arrived, Odie did another alert by telling me I needed to turn around to face 19th.
By then, I started feeling the affixuation which meant a possible convulsive grandmal seizure would occur.
As I worked on getting him finished up, our fire fighter friends emerged from the complex and Odie looked toward them.
The captain came over and gave Odie some pats on the head and told him good boy.
While Odie turned his head around and began to walk toward him as to say thank you, the Station4 captain told Odie he needed to stay with me and be close by.
I suspect the fireman knew I was having a little bit of trouble due to the affixiation.
I am definitely going to spoil my boy as he really deserves some good spoiling: not with feeding him extra food, but more of love, pets and praise.
He works hard for those which I'd rather it be that way instead of his favorite; food.
Odie's heroic actions won't be finished as of yet today.
They will be put to the test more later on.
We're supposed to have some awful, unpleasant storms later with possible hail, lightning, thunder and tornadic winds in the Metro area.
Am glad I got outside to brush him when I did.
When I get done writing this, I plan on doing my meds immediately just to be on the safe side.
I hadn't done them yet before getting him out to take care of my son first.
Although my meds are important, Odie has to come first or I could be spending some unnecessary time cleanning up a lovely dog mess in our home.
Thank you Odie for doing a great job of making sure I was safe, despite a dangerous situation unfolding around us.
I know you'll do it all over again if you feel the need to do so.
I'm very proud of my partner.
He went from being a guide dog to a medical alert working partner that still knows his guide dog work, but in a modern way.
Bibi and son Odie
my four-legged furry hero
medical alert service dog
the happy spirited bounty labrawolf