[nagdu] Landlord Issues

Kody Keplinger kodytheduff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 01:45:31 UTC 2013

He's the owner. I spoke with the building's liaison this afternoon, and she
was totally good about it. It seemed like a good indicator that things
would go smoothly when speaking to him, but he shocked me with this
argument.  He claims he will "lose money" becuse he "can't rent the
apartment below mine" if I have a dog because of the noise level.  Every
time I tried to speak up about FHA, he said he "knew the law" and "wasn't
debating my rights."

He also claimed that if I'd come in with a dog from day one he would have
told me it'd be best for me to look elsewhere. I had to bite my tongue (I
was too upset and didn't trust myself not to get really angry) because
legally, no, he couldn't have told me that. That would be descrimination.

I'm making phone calls and trying to do research.  I LOVE my apartment. I
don't want to move nor do I have the funds to do so at this time, and I'll
probably be being placed with the dog later this month, so I have to move
quickly.  I'm just in shock. I wasn't expecting this.

--
*Kody Keplinger*
http://kodykeplinger.com

author of:
*THE DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) - an ALA Top Ten Quick Pick for
Reluctant Young Readers.*
*AVAILABLE NOW!*
*
*