[nagdu] nasty, deadly, dog encounter

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Mar 6 21:49:07 UTC 2013

Hi Bibi,
Every time I hear stories like this one, I'm glad the DOJ changed the
assistant dog regs to exclude these "emotional support dogs".  So many are
not trained to do a thing - not even to behave appropriatesly in public or
around other dogs.

Last week, while at a craft class at a blind center, I heard growling and
snarling coming out from under one of the tables.  Then I saw the dog - a
little terrier-type dog that I never saw before.  It sure as hell wasn't a
guide dog!  The only ones in that class with guides are my friend Lisa and
myself.  Our two dogs were lying quietly against the wall together.  that
terrier started growling becauase it saw our dogs from under the table.

I rose a bit of a ruckus and told that lady to get that dog under control
and pets weren't supposeed to be in the building.  The lady finally got the
dog under control and all was fine.

Later, after class, I saw a blind center staff person and told her about the
incident.  She said she never saw that lady or dog before either. I told her
about the dog's behavior.  The staffer said that there was nothing she
couold do about it because of ADA.  I told her that the ADA rules changed
and that the staffer could ask that person to take the dog out of the
building if it coouldn't behave properly.  She said she was unaware about
the ADA change and was happy she could now do somethiong about that dog
should it be there again and misbehave.  She was surprised about the rule
change and thanked me for bringing it to her attention.  I learned about it
a couple of years ago when someone posted it to this list!  Anyway, we'll
see if there's any more problems with that dog when I go back to class next
week.

When I go to my doctor, sometimes a patient is there with this Yorkie in her
purse and it will bark at Landon but the lady takes it outside if her
corrections to the dog doesn't stop the barking.  I have no idea if it is
just her pet or an emotional support dog, but i say nothing because she
tries to make the dog behave and it does.  I don't say anything if people
try to make the dog behave right away.

I'm sorry that you didn't get support when you encountered that dog in your
therapist's building.  Hey, if that should happen again, just start yelling
and make a scene and, hopefully people will come out of the offices to see
what is going on! LOL!!

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown