[nagdu] Landlord Issues

Kody Keplinger kodytheduff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 01:23:44 UTC 2013

Hey guys,

I need some professional opinions and help.

I just saw my landlord, and he pretty much told me if I get a guide dog, I
basically have to move out. My immediate reaction was that that is illegal,
and he assured me that he knows the ADA and FHA backwards and forwards (his
words). He then said it's because of the building's structure and the
hardwood floors. He said it would be unfair to the tenants below me to have
a large dog walking around and that he could lose money.

I'm really upset and worried.  My gut is telling me he is wrong and that
this is illegal, but I also understand his argument.  I asked if we could
compromise (i. e. put in carpets) but he said his compromise would be
helping me break my lease early and asking my realtor to help find a dog
friendly place in the neighborhood.

Has anyone dealt with this particular argument before? Is my landlord right
or is the law on my side? My other issue is, do I really want to live in a
place where I have to have this fight?

Please help.

Kody