[nagdu] fire in our apartment complex last night

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Mar 17 17:01:19 UTC 2013

Hey Bibi,
Glad there was not too much damage and that everyone is OK.

This reminded me of an incident that happened with one of our blind center
members.  She lived in a senior/disabled complex and she put a pizza box on
top of the stove and started to leave for a convention.  Smoke was billowing
out of her apartment and someone told her that there was something burning
in her apartment.  The lady said she didn't have time to check; she had a
convention to go to.  Well, she did get evicted and her parents had to put
her in a board and care place where she lives now.

Thank goodness I haven't had any fires in my place or near enough to my
place to affect me.  I do have a little sticker on my front door that alerts
the Fire Department that a guide dog lives in my place so they know that
blind people live there.

Many dogs - and animals in general - will alert on smoke because of their
inate fear of fire.  When we had the huge wildfire in the fall of 2007 a
friend of my mother's was staying at her son's while he was away.  The lady
was caring for the house and the dog and cat.  On the night of the fire, the
lady was awakened by the dog urgently nosing her.  The lady thought the dog
had to pee bad so she got up to let the dog out in the yard.  In front of
her was a wall of fire approaching the back yard!  She gathered up her
stuff, got the dog and ran out the front door and into her car with the dog.
She coouldn't find the cat and I don't think they ever foound the cat again.
That dog, a German shepherd, saved the lady's life.  That dog was a hero!  I
would hope that our guides would do something like that even if it is to
save their own butts! LOL!  This happened while I was at TSE getting Landon.

Speaking about wildfires, I hear there's one just west of Fort Collins where
my sister lives.  Hope they're fine.  Let's hope that all of you living in
Colorado will be OK through the fire season to come.  We get them here in
Southern California as well and there have been several bad ones in San
Diego - mainly in our North County.  Take care.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown