[nagdu] I was not excepted

Toni Whaley blind_treasurer at verizon.net
Mon Mar 18 00:38:52 UTC 2013

Hi!

Every time, except one, I've been interviewed by a trainer, only the Juno
walk with the instructor was done. Of course for my first dog I just assumed
that this would be like walking with a real dog. After I got my first dog, I
knew better. From then on, I say jokingly to the trainer who comes for the
interview, "We should put the harness on you and let you do the walk with
you on your hands and knees." The trainer gets a laugh out of that request.

The one exception was when I was getting my third dog in a year and a half
(first dog didn't work out and second dog got cancer), and the school was
doing home training for repeat students while building a new dorm. Instead
of doing a usual interview, two trainers came down with three dogs. I got to
do a Juno walk with all three. The trainers let me picked the order which I
wanted to try out the dogs. I liked the first two dogs. The third one pulled
so hard that my shoulder was killing me. When we reached the end of my
street, I dropped the harness handle and emphatically said, "No!" One of the
trainers asked whether I wanded to work him home and I declined. As we
walked back to my house we discussed the pros and cons of the first two
dogs. We agreed that the first dog was the best dog for me. So one month
later another trainer came back with the first dog, and I began working with
Sport.

Even though Sport was my seventh dog I had completed training with, I wasn't
ready to trust the dog on our first trip out. It had snowed quite heavily
two days before , and there were mounds of snow at the curbs and in
crosswalks. As we were crossing a street, Sport started to pull slightly
left. AS he was pulling toward parallel traffic, I started to resist. The
trainer called out, "Go with him. He's taking you around a large mound of
snow." By the end of the eighth day of training I was comfortable with
Sport's way of dealing with mounds of snow.

By the way, Seeing Eye has a mechanical dog that you can walk with. This, of
course, doesn't give a real idea of what walking with a real dog would be
like, but it does give the applicant some of what it's like walking while
holding the harness with the hand positioned closer to what it would be with
a real dog.

Toni