[nagdu] what do you consider an attack?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu May 9 22:11:28 UTC 2013

Larry,

Maybe that's it with Mitzi, too. She loves her small fluffy play
buddies. Fortunately, she has never tried turning on into a squeaky toy!
/lol/ But definitely, even her "let's play!" bark when she's in her work
clothes is not okay, so I really wish she wouldn't do it especially when
she's surprised to see one in a store. She doesn't even do it every
time. Which is good, since there are small dogs in Dad's retirement
center which I only know about by hearing them mentioned as opposed to
because I have a sudden need to toss the poodle out a window. /lol/

Tami

On 05/09/2013 12:07 PM, Larry D. Keeler wrote:
> [...]
>> we have passed such when the dog was making scary noises, I could hear
>> a human calming the dog and controlling it so had no fear. When the
>> human reacts aggressively towards the dog or there is no human
>> reacting to a possibly threatening dog, then I feel some worry! Even
>> so, I just take a deep breath and encourage Mitzi to keep moving, so
>> there we go. So far, so good. I think with dogs that have caused
>> concern and cause Mitzi to dance a little extra, I just rely on my
>> alpha B thing as I do with iffy humans. The Look is useful in many
>> situations. And because I've spent so much time in dog parks around
>> many types of dogs, Mitzi speaks the languages of many breeds and
>> knows The Look herself. She's not the super dominant type of alpha B,
>> but she does have a way of ruling without necessarily appearing to.
>> /smile/
>>
>> Anyway, don't know if that really answers. I think you're right that
>> for a guide dog user who can't see the body language behind surface
>> behavior and vocalizations, and knowing the possibility of dog attack
>> and what it could mean for one's guide even if it's relatively
>> minor... Well, it's extra scary! I would also think an individual's
>> reaction would depend a lot on local dog culture... In my stomping
>> grounds, it's a pretty good bet dogs are well-socialized and
>> responsibly handled. The ones I need to worry about are the
>> exceptions. So I can stay calmer, which is a good way to keep anything
>> from escalating, because of statistics. In other areas, it is probably
>> a better bet that a random dog deserves concern... I've been in a few
>> of those areas and have to work harder at staying calm and
>> transferring that to my dog. So if I lived where I regularly traveled
>> those sorts of scary dog zones, I would probably be a basket case!
>>
>> Tami
>>

>> On 05/09/2013 09:14 AM, Julie J. wrote:
>>> We often talk about dog attacks on this list, but perhaps what I
>>> categorize as an attack is different from others definition.  So I’m
>>> asking, what do you consider an attack?
>>>
>>> Is it: a dog coming toward your dog
>>> a dog coming toward your dog growling/barking
>>> a dog coming close enough to sniff your dog
>>> a dog coming into physical contact with your dog, nose, tongue or feet
>>> a dog who bites, but does not break the skin with or without
>>> pain/bruising
>>> a dog who draws blood with a bite
>>> or something else?
>>>
>>> Does the intent of the other dog make a difference?  For example it
>>> is fairly common for dogs to jump on each other and slobber all over
>>> each other during rough play.  But jumping on another dog could
>>> definitely be aggression in different circumstances.  Granted it is
>>> often extremely difficult to gauge a loose dog’s intent without being
>>> able to watch their body language.
>>>
>>> Would you consider a situation to be an attack if the other dog
>>> approaches friendly, but your dog doesn’t appreciate it and reacts

>>> Julie