[nagdu] what do you consider an attack?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri May 10 01:25:47 UTC 2013

For me a dog attack is when another dog makes physical contact with my dog
intending to do harm.

Just yesterday I had a dog run out of a yard to come see Monty.  The dog
just wanted to sniff and get acquainted.  I do not consider this any sort of
an attack.  Now the owner on the other hand...well what can I say, some
people shouldn't have dogs. On that same walk there was a dog barking and
growling in the back of a pick up truck.  That one made me a bit nervous.
He didn't jump out of the truck though so all was well.

Today I encountered a jogger with her dog.  The dog desperately wanted to
come see Monty, pulling on the leash and making pitiful noises, but the
owner got him back on track without breaking her stride.  On my way home
from work there is a house with three Chihuahua.  Two are always out on long
leads, but the third is allowed to roam free.  Every time I go past there he
has to follow me and Monty growling and barking.  He's a very unhappy little
dog, but he never comes into actual physical contact.

I encounter dogs on leash or roaming free just about daily, especially now
that it's nice out.  Monty is usually fine, although every now and then he
shows an interest in another dog.  He seems to like the big dogs that are
bouncy.  Little dogs he completely ignores.

We have had numerous dog encounters, but I can't think of any time Monty has
been attacked.  Belle though, she was like a nasty dog magnet.  Perhaps it's
the confidence?  I suppose other dogs notice the difference in body language
of a confident dog over an anxious one.  Dogs act differently around Monty.

Julie