[nagdu] Dental bones

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Tue May 14 17:51:47 UTC 2013

Hello:

What you say in your most recent message most accurately reflects my reluctance to purchase such products. I use a finger toothbrush on Bailey's teeth as well, as well as C.E.T vanilla mint toothpaste. I would suggest viewing such bones or other products as a supplement to proper dental care rather than as a replacement. Therefore, if you forget to brush the puppy's teeth, it won't be the end of the world. I just thought I'd pass along the information as it seems like an interesting product. As I am in the midst of preparing to move, I am unwilling to buy any excess items so as to make packing and unpacking simpler. So, these dental supplements will have to go without my purchasing them. As to whether I will use them in the future, probably not. I am one who, once a routine is established, won't alter it without good reason. My current dental plan works well, so I see no need to introduce further financial investment in it. However, for those who may be habitually lax with regards to their dog's dental care, these may be a good--well, not a complete replacement or alternative--but a step in the right direction. I do have a "dental Kong," which is like a cylinder with tons of grooves in it. I'm not sure as to the actual hygienic benefit of such, but I can see how the mechanics of it are supposed to work. My personal suggestion is to stick to the toothbrush and toothpaste, as this eliminates ambiguity--for example, is the dog chewing it enough? Do I need to give more or less? Are the teeth being evenly cleaned? The direct method of using a toothbrush eliminates these concerns and has been shown in countless studies to be of benefit. I hope this is illuminating. Thanks for commenting on the product--I was wondering what others thought of such things as well. Does anybody else have any thoughts?

Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology; Department of Neuroscience
572 Stinchcomb Drive
Apt. 3
Columbus, Ohio 43202-3702
(740) 856-8195