[nagdu] homeless shelter refuses to accept blind man withhisdog guide

JULIE PHILLIPSON jbrew48 at verizon.net
Thu May 16 00:17:30 UTC 2013

I have heard this here too but I wonder why they are not referred to the
state office for the blind or to the health department or social services.
I remember when a committee I am on asked about this the answer was they
would be put up at a hotel or an apartment for their own safety.  The
problem is how do we know about them and how long will it take to find
something suitable for them.  The bottom line is they or a family member or
friend has to make the first contact.  That's not likely if it is an
underserved population or non-English speaking population.  I suppose the
homeless shelter should make that referral but then the people who work
there are probably over whelmed and don't even know they should.