[nagdu] Guide Dog Use at national Convention

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed May 22 23:37:39 UTC 2013

I am not attending national convention this year, but I would not take my
current guide, Monty to something like a long convention.  I took my
previous guide, Belle to a national convention and she was fine.  However
Monty takes his job way too seriously.  He doesn't really relax and do
doggie things on his off time.  Most guide dogs associate the harness with
work time.  Monty does not, for him home is dog time and everywhere else is
serious business.  He does fine for about three days, after that he's about
ready to fall asleep standing because he's worn himself out.
I also do not take him on other long trips like vacations for the same
reason.   He goes to the dog sitter lady's house where he gets to run and
play with a group of other dogs.  I think because I'm not around and he
knows the routine there he is happy, relaxed and able to be a dog.

I've taken him to state conventions where there are a handful of other dogs
and he's been great.  He does fine around crowds and canes and all the other
crazy convention sorts of things.  If I lived close enough to a national
convention site where I would be at home in the evenings he could totally do
it.

It really comes down to knowing your dog and yourself and figuring out what
works best.  There just isn't going to be an easy, one size fits all answer,
for whether or not to take your guide to a national convention.

Julie