[nagdu] {Disarmed} Fake Service Dogs, Real Problem | Cesar Millan

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri May 24 15:35:26 UTC 2013

Grrrrrr….

Here's a guide dog school representative saying that there *is* a "certified service dog", and the best way to get one os to go to a school. Wrong on both counts; schools are great, but there are plenty of well trained non-school service dogs. Plnty of awful ones too, but there are plenty of awful school ones, so… Oh, and let's not even talk about the whole "leave it to the experts, they know best" attitude.

Anyway, here's what I posted on another list about this subject. The references to a previous Email aren't very important.

Hi Angie,

This points up a problem I've observed for a while now. Well, a couple of things, really. First, an observation. I observe that there are some service dog users (mostly from guide dog schools, though I suspect that this is not exclusively so) who believe that the problems outlined in your Email below would be solved by a nationally recognized service dog certification. I don't happen to be one such, for a variety of reasons that I won't enumerate here. Suffice to say I think that such a certification would create more problems than it would solve.

My second observation is that we, as a community, meaning service dog users, have done a pretty good job of educating business owners, and the general public, that we are allowed by law to be accompanied by individually trained service animals. However, there are two areas that we've not done as well in, and I commend you, Angie, for doing your part  to fill that void.

1) As we know, the law states that we are allowed to be accompanied by a service animal individually trained, blah blah blah. The law does not confer any rights to the animal, rather, these rights are for the disabled person to be accompanied by the animal. Thus, when someone says "This is service dog, it is allowed to go anywhere in public", this statement is incorrect. It is the handler, not the dog, who has the right of accompaniment. My non-disabled sister would not have the right to bring Leno to her hair appointment because Leno was not specifically trained for her use, and, moreover, she doesn't have a disability. Put another way, Leno doesn't have the right to be anywhere that the general public is invited…without me. People often gloss over this distinction, but it's an important one, and especially important when we're talking about these people who would pass off their dogs as service dogs when they themselves don't have, and don't claim to have, any disabilities. So, we got half the message across, but, whether through our not communicating it clearly or willful ignorance, an important distinction is often missed…sometimes by us, and certainly by the general public. So, please, when educating others of your rights, be mindful of the distinction: your dog doesn't have any rights, you do.

2) In this respect, I think we've all fallen down on the job. Business owners do not understand that our rights to be accompanied by a service dog ***are not absolute***. We've done a great job, now people understand that service dogs are OK. Loud and clear. However, those rights are not absolute, as Angie illustrates perfectly below. As she also illustrates perfectly, this fact is not well, if at all, understood. Service dog or not, if our dog is disruptive or substantially alters the delivery of goods or services, that dog may be removed from the establishment. Of course, the business owner had better be able to document the nature of the disruption, destruction, or what have you, and it doesn't matter if your growling, lunging dog is service dog or not t that point. This doesn't give business owners the right to have your dog removed if it's ugly and messes with the decor or something like that. Point is, rights are important, both for us and for businesses. But as important are responsibilities, both for us and for businesses. I'm not sure how we can better educate on this, but I think we'll have to figure out how.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY