[nagdu] which side are you on?

blind411 blind411 at verizon.net
Mon May 27 02:10:46 UTC 2013

Daniel,
	Like your friend, I am not very pleased with the fact that most
guide dog programs train their dogs to walk to the left. I feel it is very
inconsiderate, as the normal flow of traffic moves on the right. When our
dogs pull to the left, oncoming pedestrians, bikers, skateboarders, etc. all
need to avoid us. When walking through a strip mall, I feel like I am a
slalom skier.
	My dog was trained to walk to the left and, despite my best efforts,
I have been unable to break him of this very engrained training. I have
addressed this with the Guide Dog Foundation and they claim this is not a
part of their training, though it obviously is! Why, then does my dog do
this. When I was on the graduate Advisory Council of Southeastern Guide
Dogs, I was given the explanation that this is so sighted people can see the
dog and avoid it. They would not need to avoid it if we were to walk with
the normal flow of traffic. I would love to read other's feelings on this
issue.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala