[nagdu] Which side are you on?

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Thu May 30 07:51:43 UTC 2013

I have had this problem with the dog I am training for Rachel. When I work
the dog,the dog does not track to the left,unless she gets distracted by a
barking dog or a bicyclist or a person. I then correct her and she goes
back to walking in the middle or to the right.When Rachel works Lady,the
dog tends to track to the left a lot,some times taking her into the side of
the street. I had Rachel use her cane to feel where the left of the side
walk is.and to use the word "over". I now have Rachel use her foot to do
the same.Lady is doing much better on this issue now and no longer takes
Rachel into the street.She still will track to the left of the sidewalk
though, so we are still working on this.I think she does this because
Rachel is totally blind and can't tell when she herself is veering to the
left.When Rachel uses her foot to find the right side,the dog does much
better.I have not had this problem with Neechee,and I think it is because I
still have some sight,enough to keep my self from veering to one
side.Rachel and I worked the Mall last Sunday and I used Shaman with my
power wheelchair as I had to take the bus to get there. Shaman hates going
slow when I am with some one who is walking.He constantly pulls and zig
zags when I make him go slow.I also noticed that he tracked to the left. I
kept having to move him over to the right.He does not do any of these
things when I work him alone or with another wheelchair dog.This is why I
am so glad to have a second dog that goes slow enough when I am walking or
working with another person who is walking,or when I use the manual
wheelchair.When I got home from the Mall,my left arm felt like it was ready
to fall off!   Mardi and Shaman and Neechee,GDIT

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/