[nagdu] Quite a Predicament

Tai Blas taiablas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 16:57:27 UTC 2013

Hello all. I have quite a predicament and am looking for input from the
list. I had trained with my first Seeing Eye dog Chica in 1998. I retired
her in 2002 for various reasons related to her work and propensity to
relieve indoors despite extensive work with Seeing Eye instructors on these
issues. I am now looking to train with a new guide. I was scheduled to train
in Seeing Eye's December class. However, I recently received news that they
do not have a good match for me. I mistakenly relied on being in that class,
and I know that is my fault, not Seeing Eye's fault.

I need to train with a guide prior to January 6 when I start law school
again. Due to law school commitments, I will be unable to train for a guide
within the next fourteen months after December. This creates quite a
scheduling problem. My understanding is that Seeing Eye matches students
with only the strings of dogs that the trainers assigned to that class have
trained. Is there any possibility that other trainers at Seeing Eye could
have a dog that is a match for me, or are matching decisions based on the
entire pool of dogs?

In the event that Seeing Eye cannot locate a dog for me, might they have
reciprocity with another school that might have an appropriate match for me?
If Seeing Eye cannot accommodate my schedule, might there be any way at this
late date of getting into another school? If so, how should I go about this?
My predicament will not permit me to follow the standard application
processes which take several months. Might schools deviate from their
protocols/policies to accommodate me, or is this a long shot? Earlier in the
year, I had initiated an application with Guide Dogs for the Blind which is
still active. However, GDB would need to complete a home visit and that
process can take up to eight weeks, meaning that I could not train in
December.  Late in 2012, I had initiated an application with Guiding Eyes,
but I am fairly certain that application has lapsed and that applying for a
new guide with them would not be feasible prior to December. I would prefer
to train at schools in New Jersey, New York, or California. I am not partial
to any breed, but obviously am looking for the best possible match. Any
input on or off the list would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tai