[nagdu] Dog is marking

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Nov 8 12:31:47 UTC 2013

I don't know that I'll have any good suggestions, but to understand your
current guide is lifting his leg and urinating small amounts in your home?
Do you have another male dog in the home or does one visit frequently?   Did
this just start or did it begin when you brought your dog home?

I had house guests last year who had a neutered male dog, but he had a
serious attitude.  If his bits weren't missing I wouldn't have believed he
had been neutered.  Anyway I have my guide dog who is a neutered male.  The
little dog started marking on corners of things and doorways.  My dog never
did mark anything indoors, but the little dog doing it was upsetting to him.
I kept as much as I could shut and inaccessible to the little dog.  I kept
the two dogs separated as much a possible in distinct areas of the house.
Ultimately my guests moving out was the once and for all fix.

My neutered male guide does mark outdoors when out of harness.  I have no
problem with this.  I figure it's his yard too and why shouldn't he let the
neighbor dogs know that?  He has never marked indoors or while in harness so
I'm content with our arrangement.

You might try keeping him on leash so you can catch him just as he's moving
into position so you can redirect or correct...whatever your method is.  And
just to make sure there's isn't some health issue going on, you might give
your vet a call and see what he thinks.  I'd especially do this if he's
urinating frequently, it's a lot of urine, he's drinking a lot or any other
change.

HTH
Julie