[nagdu] Lack of speed

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Nov 19 17:43:51 UTC 2013

Hi Jewel.
I hate that!!!  I feel your pain!
When I tried the GL to curb Ben's sniffiness, it slowed him down (and
didn't help with sniffiness, either.)
I try two things when the dog is being poky for no discernible reason.
I reach down and pat his side while we're walking, just one or 2 quick
pats.  This takes some coordination, but often works like magic to speed
him up.  An instructor at GDB used to call it "hitting the magic button."
Or, if the magic button doesn't work and I'm sure there's no reason to be
poky, I take the leash and give a little correction forward, with a stern
Hup Up.  It's not a big yank, but it does say stop this foolishness right
now.
Happily, I don't have to use these methods very often with Ben, especially
now the weather's cool.  It's put a real bounce in his step.
Good luck.
Tracy