[nagdu] an interesting conversation I just had

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Thu Nov 21 04:06:08 UTC 2013

You did the right thing, and you might consider doing more. Did you have
your cane with you? Could you have gotten to class using your cane and
walking Dallas? Is this person your friend or just someone whom you know? I
would recommend telling the person that you received training on how to work
with Dallas and that, if the school had thought  that you were going to
abusive, they would have taken him away. Also, the school does not issue
equipment without making sure that the trainees know how to use it properly.
Tell him that, if he has problems with what you are doing or what the school
teaches, then he should take it up with the school. However, before doing
this, I would recommend calling the school to let them know what is going on
so that they don't inadvertently get the wrong impression if he calls them.
You might tell him that, regardless if someone is near by, a guide dog is
supposed to work when he/she is in harness and the harness handle is in your
hand. You might tell him more forcefully not to take Dallas's leash ever
again. This is not quite a direct comparison, but that would be like if you
dropped your cell phone and someone else grabbed it and refused to give it
back. If he argues that that is a material possession and not a live animal,
you could tell him that that is irrelevant as the point is not about
inanimate versus live but rather taking things that do not belong to you.
You might considering reporting him to someone if this continues. Finally,
you might tell him that he does not have the right to make assertions about
the health and behavior of you and Dallas. Dallas was eating leaves only
because he was holding the leash instead of you.

On a related note, I have a few more suggestions on the whole relieving
problem if you want to hear them.

Nicole and Lexia