[nagdu] an interesting conversation I just had

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Nov 21 15:22:50 UTC 2013

There was a very interesting, and disturbing, article in the Monitor a few
years ago.  The author thought that blind children were being taught that
anyone could grab them any time, because their classroom aides did just
that, even if the child objected, and the classroom teacher didn't say
anything about it.
I think Kristen should complain to her instructor's supervisor.

I've become adept at a little jerk/wiggle that gets my arm out of the grasp
of any would-be grabber very quickly, and gets them the message that I am
not OK with being grabbed.  It amazes me that people think it's fine to grab
a blind woman they don't know, when they would never dream of treating a
sighted woman like that here in the Big City.
Tracy