[nagdu] self identification

Michael Hingson Mike at michaelhingson.com
Sat Nov 23 22:22:58 UTC 2013

Mike,

Thanks for the email.  Good question.  What happens if you are caught in
severe turbulents?  This year alone I know of three flights where passengers
were injured due to turbulent conditions during the flights including
take-offs and landings.  Since dogs do not wear seatbelts there is nothing
to prevent a dog lying in a bulkhead row from bouncing about in severe
turbulents.  The airlines are all about safety, so they say.  Well then
let's talk safety for guide dogs.  There is nothing restraining a guide dog
in a bulkhead row.  Also, the dog may often lye across more than one seat's
legroom.

In a non-bulkhead seat the dog can be positioned under the seat in front
with its head between its owner's feet.  In this position the dog is
comfortable, and it is secure and restrained in case of emergencies.  By any
standard the handler has much more control over the dog in a non-bulkhead
seat.  Even if there is an emergency and the dog panics the handler has much
more control when the dog is under a seat than can be attained when the dog
is in a bulkhead seat and thus can help keep the dog calmer.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Michael Hingson