[nagdu] Service dog scams putting people 'at risk'

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 15:33:08 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Darla Rogers
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 8:04 PM
To: 'NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users'
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Service dog scams putting people 'at risk'

Maybe the service dog industry ought to take some responsibility for their
dogs, as it seems many  don't really point out and teach good dog management
skills; a friend's guide hThe good (and I hesitate to use that word)
scammers know which buttons to hit and what language to use.
I think the service dog industry has two problems. First, they don't really
convey that good dog management lasts a lifetime. It isn't like writing a
line of code that won't need to change.
Secondly, I think the service dog industry is terrible about integrating the
dog and human team with the rest of life. Their suggestions may work fine
for a human-dog team but forget the rest of the components, job, children,
hobbies.
as been bitten twice at Independent Living Conferences--not good--and there
are a number of people passing their dogs off.
	I wonder how often people who scam businesses, can offer up the
right information when asked; emotional support dogs still aren't considered
under law, are they?
Darla & Huggable Huck