[nagdu] Barking Puppies!

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Nov 26 15:36:48 UTC 2013

Barb,

I'm glad you brought this back to the top. I was thinking about it, then
never got back to Abigail.

Abigail, my girl has been known to get vocal in harness, so I know how
embarrassing that is! When she was younger, she would sometimes bark at
other dogs on the sidewalk or across parking lots. She's gone through a
couple of phases where she would vocalize at other dogs in public, which
I could have cheerfully strangled her for.

So what I did was take the rotten monster to places where we could
encounter other dogs outdoors to work with teaching her to remember her
manners. I use clicker-training, so my methods revolved around that.

The first thing to remember about barking is that it is an excited
behavior and also a group behavior. So I made things a little worse
because I let my embarrassment that my guide dog was barking get me
excited. Sigh. Even now sometimes when our dogs are window-barking, I
will just yell at them and wonder why they bark more... That's because
they hear me barking with them. So I have to get up and move them away
from the window if they don't respond to a calm, "Quiet."

With Mitzi, I found that using the GL to pull her head away from what
she was barking at -- or even just using my hand on her long snout to
turn her away was the most effective first step. That removed the reward
from staring and barking at the distraction. Then I could move her on in
the other direction or have her do something else like sitting. So the
"quiet" command was to get the quiet, followed by an active command for
what I wanted instead. Then I could reward that and also have her mind
on something else (I hoped).

I found that including a "leave it" after the "quiet" was also useful.
"Quiet" to keep her fool poodle mouth shut, "leave it" to leave the
distraction itself, then "forward" (or whichever directional command) to
get her moving again, which is the behavior I actually wanted.

The good thing about using the positive approach to barking is that it
is calmer and less likely to add excitement to the bark event as a leash
correction and sharp vocal tone might. I don't know what methods your
school uses or that you are using, of course.

The other thing about barking is that it is self-rewarding. It's just so
darn fun to bark! So dealing with it requires much, much time and much,
much patience. Death threats and mentions of medieval practices in a
sweet voice can help you express your feelings without exciting the dog.
/lol/

Anyway, now Mitzi will sometimes give a low moan of misery at the effort
and sadness of not running off at the mouth. Most of the time, it seems
she's decided to give up on the whole thing and just do her job without
commentary. Whew! We recently moved to a rural town, where there is much
walking for us past many, many dog distractions. So that helped me,
since she had done some backsliding when we weren't doing as much of
that before we got moved. She's downright civilized these days! /smile/

It can also help to figure out what, precisely, the dog is responding to
and which emotional trigger starts the barking. So, say, with the phone
ring, it could be she thinks she's alerting you. It could be she is
telling it to be quiet and go away -- chasing it off, so to speak. Or
maybe she thinks it will attack you and is warning it of her intent to
stand guard? Who knows with dogs. Like I say, it can be helpful to
figure that part out and work from there. It's not always possible. And
sometimes, as near as I can tell, it's just fun to bark and the phone
reminds her of that.

Don't know if any of that is helpful for you, but it's about all I know.
/smile/ Sorry you don't feel you can get help from your trainer on the
behavior at home and/or where it's actually happening. Hope you can get
it worked out.

Tami