[nagdu] Guide dog resources abroad

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 18:27:50 UTC 2013

Go, because once you get into working and having kids, you won't be able to
do this, unless you wait until you retire and your kids are grown.
I'd urge you to go. You're going to Western Europe so while you may have
challenges, it's nothing like you'd experience in a Third World country.
Your dog will have access to food, clean water and safe streets. You
probably won't have the access issues you do here (in Germany, dogs be they
guide or pet) are allowed in public only if the business owner is ok with
it.  In other words, you won't have legal protection if the guy that owns
the pub down the block doesn't want y our dog there. So long as you know
that, you'll be ok.
I doubt your dog would be taken away. Let the American embassy or consulate
know your situation, don't leave your dog tied up outside (even I f the
locals do it) and things will be ok.
You could also not bring your dog. The schools have procedures in place for
this, should you want to explore that option.
If your dog is your only consideration (you don't have health issues of your
own, you don't have kids or a spouse) then I'd strongly urge you to go if
this is truly what you'd want to do.