[nagdu] Introduction and Questions

rhondacrz rhondaprincess at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 07:03:54 UTC 2013

hello melissa, i got my guide dog when i was  years old.  and i
had some vision at the time.  but i lost it a year after i came
home with my dog.  it was up to me to apply for my dog.  i had
supporte from my family and it worked great.
 there are positive things about having a dog.  it has made me
become more independent.  and able to go places on my own.
i mostely travel everyware in the bay areia.  with my dog.  we've
been together for years.  and it's worth it.
22

introduction and then some questions.

>Well, first of all, my name is Melissa and although I am not a
guide dog user I am a cane user.  I'm in college pursuing a
degree in psychology and I will be moving back to my hometown
once I graduate.  I'm considered legally blind, so I do have
vision.

>Because of the condition I have, I was not taught to use a cane
until my senior year of high school.  I actually had to fight in
order to get cane lessons, but since then, I just about take my
cane everywhere with me.  It helps a lot more than using my
vision and stressing my eyes....

>Now, some questions:

>I am not considering getting a guide dog now but I do want to
keep it as an option if I decide that it would help me in my
travels.  So my question is, what was ultimately you deciding
factor in getting a guide dog?
>What are some advantages and disadvantages in using a guide dog?
>For those of you who have vision, did you encounter problems with
the guide dog schools saying that a guide dog would not benefit
you because you have "too much" vision?
>Ultimately, this is my greatest fear.  I'm scared of encountering
criticism by guide dog schools and "blindness professionals"
about whether a guide dog would benefit me or not.  A lot of
people with my condition function well without a cane or a dog so
would this be used against me if I were to apply?