[nagdu] How Guide Dogs Help

rhondacrz rhondaprincess at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 07:03:56 UTC 2013

hello melissa, i have pretty good mobility skills.  and i use my
cane.  when my dog is ill.  and can't work for personal reasons.

Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:29:48 -0800 (PST)
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] How Guide Dogs Help

>Just a general question...
>When not using your guide dog for some reason (such as the dog
not feeling well) do you rely on a cane to get you somewhere or
use whatever vision you have?

Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:49 PM
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] How Guide Dogs Help

>Definitely yes.  Different guides have varying strengths and
weaknesses.  My first guide was an overhanging obstacle genius.
Belle was good at being content with doing the same route
repeatedly.  Monty is good at  remembering where we've been and
what is probable that we'll be doing next and making suggestions.

>Each of them also had things that weren't so appreciated.  Monty
doesn't like to follow other people.  He's also impatient when we
have to be in long meetings or waiting for whatever reason.

>I think working with a guide dog is a two way street though.  I'm
not even close to perfect.  I'm sure it's confusing when I give a
hand gesture for turning right and I say left.   I insist on some
things in a guide, excellent house manners, good obstacle work, a
strong sense of self, internal motivation to work,  and some
other things that are important to me.  Some things just aren't
that important to me or don't bother me.  I don't mind  a bit of
barking at home.  I am okay with Monty's parallel routs instead
of a true follow.

>So yes, when we talk about what guide dogs can do, it's more of a
general thing.  Each individual dog may not excel in each of
these areas.