[nagdu] Identifying dogs reaching a common ground

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 17:24:28 UTC 2013

Fight! Fight!

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Bridget Walker
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:18 AM
To: nagdu at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nagdu] Identifying dogs reaching a common ground

Hi All,

I have some thoughts after following the threads. in my opinion A service
dog should be trained by an actual program. Yes that's right I said it. It's
not the harness or the vest that makes the dog it is the training. I do not
know how anyone can pick a random dog, train it on their own without being a
trainer and call it a service animal. Until someone informs me of how a dog
that is not trained by an actual trainer gets identified as a service dog
I'm sorry I personally can find a reason why there can be conflicts.
I fully believe the dogs the guide dog schools breed and train  are what
make the dog. The early socialization and introductions the puppies get is
crucial and it should all be done a specific way. With that I think this war
over fake verses  legit service dogs is beating a dead horse.  I think there
most definitely needs to be some kind of certification process for the dogs
that are not trained from an actual program. If I could just train my pet as
a guide dog is that really ok? I asked a while back who evaluates these dogs
and I never got an answer. I don't think it can be just anyone who should
make the call over what makes a good service dog  that is what  a trainer.
Training school is for.
Ok a bit off topic there but really I think there is a reason we have
training programs and ID cards. Do we need them by law? No, but maybe we
just might at the rate everything is going.
There are people that take for granted a lot of opportunities including
this. I would still like to maintain the ability to travel   with a service
dog as a right not a privilege.
This is not designed. to say this goes to the fault of anyone specific
because if we knew why there was such a conflict I am sure we would be
acting on it.
I leave it at that.

Bridget

Sent from my iPad