[nagdu] training methods of schools

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Sep 15 16:08:05 UTC 2013

Nicole,

I'm not the only owner-trainer I know who has succeeded with
non-correction based training methods, so I tend to roll my eyes when
the pros at the schools insist that just can't be done. However, I think
you are right that in the kennel and school setting in which those pros
work, it wouldn't be so doable to use what I think of as more "pure
applied operant conditioning." Also, it would be much more difficult to
teach to the handlers, since the negative reinforcement with the applied
OC requires some psychology and analysis on a case by case basis. In
other words, to remove the reward from unwanted behavior or to go to the
next level and make it unrewarding, you have to figure out what the
reward is for each behavior and diagnose motivations and, well, stuff.
Once you're used to thinking this way, it is easier than it sounds and
can be very effective. But with guide dogs, we're talking very
intelligent, strong-willed, confident individuals. So when you get into
a conflict of wills, winning the battle takes some mental effort and
patience. Trying to teach someone that for a large set of complex
behaviors in 28 days would be a bit much to ask, I think. Corrections
work for negative reinforcement, especially since that is how the dogs
are trained.

Of course, a key reason I plan to OT again is that I want to be a purist
about the pure positive training methods. I really do think it creates a
better partnership -- by my definition of better according to my
personal preference. With just one dog to train, I can spend all day
every day being an OC snob about it. /smile/ Occasionally, I do try to
imagine working under conditions like what the pro trainers do, with
several dogs to train on budget and on time... That would be more difficult!

Interesting about the collars. I hadn't heard about that before. How are
they different?

Tami