[nagdu] Why Labradors?

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Sep 15 17:53:48 UTC 2013

There are certainly other breeds besides labs that make good guide dogs and
other types of service dogs, but I have also seen certain breeds, such as
collies, which, JMHO, should not be service dogs. Some breeds are smart, but
do not have the want-to-please mentality  found in some of the breeds more
commonly used for guide dogs.
As for goldens, I think that they may be a little more laid back than labs.
I do not know if German Shepherds are more sensative to corrections, but I
do know that they are more likely to not eat or get slightly sick when
adjusting to change or in stressful situations, such as traveling. Also,
they are more likely to have medical or aggression problems, which is
partiallywhy, sadly, GDB no longer trains German Shepherds.
I have not interacted much with dobermen pinchers, but, from what other
people have said, I'm not quite sure why they are not used more. I guess
that, once schools find breeds that work, they are less likely to try
something new.

Nicole