[nagdu] The matching process

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Sep 24 14:33:47 UTC 2013

The last 2 times I was at GDB, my trainer called me before I came to talk
about the dogs they had in mind for me.  They told me some of the
characteristics of each, and asked if I had a preference.  I really liked
that.  I had some idea of what I was going to get, and could get used to
the idea.  Last time a friend went to TSE, they actually let her try out
the 2 prospective dogs, and discussed the traits of each at length.  In
the end, she chose the one she wanted, and was ready for the challenges it
presented. I like that, too.
Somehow, it seems traditional to keep the match a mystery until it
happens, but it doesn't really have to be that way, and perhaps it
shouldn't be, especially if the student and school have a long-standing
relationship, so that the school has a pretty good idea of what the
student needs.
Tracy