[nagdu] Dogs Obsessed With Food

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 08:40:11 UTC 2013

Hi,
I would recommend using the halti so that you are more aware of where
your dog's nose is pointing. Also, with the halti, you can detect and
react more quickly to inappropriate sniffing or scavenging. While you
sit down, a good technique might be to sit with your foot planted
between your dog's front legs or paws, that way, you'll be aware of
any movements the dog is making to sniff or snatch up stuff.
Also, work with your dog on the "leave it" cue. The schools push us to
do obedience routines, but "leave it" is not a part of it, and I fee
like it should be for some dogs. If you need help teaching or
practicing the "leave it" cue with your dog, there are a number of web
resources on positive training, and there are people on the list, such
as myself, who can give you tips on how to practice this with your
dog.
Good luck.

On 9/27/13, Hannah Chadwick <sparklylicious at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've had my dog for about a month now and she also seems to be
> very very interested in diving for everything she sees on the
> floor.  Fortunately I've learned to react quickly and try to
> prevent it.  The only advice I can give you is that there is
> absolutely no reason for their heads to go towards the ground
> unless you are giving her water or food.  If you're sitting down,
> like at a restaurant, then I would keep my leash as short as
> possible and maybe put your foot on it so you can feel what
> they're doing.  I hope this helps and the best of luck!
> Hannah and Spritz

Raven