[nagdu] guide dogs in high school

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:56:01 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have recently been accepted to The Guide Dog Foundation and have
begun to discuss details of having a dog in high school. Some
individuals at my school were concerned about receiving training to
learn guide dog ettiquet from the guide dog school. I don't know if
this is possible, or even necessary. I always assumed it would be my
responsibility to educate my school. How have those with guide dogs in
high school handled explaining how the guide dog should be treated to
school administrators? Also, how did you address the issue of students
not complying with the basic rule to pretty much ignore your dog? Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Danielle