[nagdu] Brandy, 13?

Brandy Pinder bdpinder at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:47:35 UTC 2014

No problem I don't mind sharing. It was guide dogs of the desert and they did a trial of people under eighteen. Our class had five of us. Me, a sixteen year old who was back for their second dog due to the first having cateracts, a fifteen year old and two seventeen year olds. The dog they had picked for me was a bad match. The pace was too slow and it was a food diver. Later, my trainer at the time became a mobility instructor and shadowed me and my mobility instructor with my new dog from pilot. She said honestly she never wanted to place me with pashley but her raisers were big donors and the dog had to be placed. It pulled me into two pools almost. They wouldn't do after care either. Nothing against the desert I actually was going to return before going to gdf but their wait list was two years. The others in my class all had success. Honestly I think I was more patient then and in high school than I was around twenty. The issue I had was dealing with teachers who wouldn't leave the dog alone. Not to mention school is very dreadful and distraction filled for dogs so while two or three years of it works longer can wear on the dog. As raven said their are many adults that shouldn't have dogs and do so if handled correctly it can be a good experience. I received my second at fifteen and worked him over five years. However, I think the desert decided to stick with sixteen except for special cases. They didn't find long term success not mainly because of the young handlers but more the environment.

brandy pinder
Alumni Council -  second vice Chairman
Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, Inc®
and America's VetDogs®, The Veteran's K-9 Corps Inc®
Providing "Second uSight"® since 1946

371 E. Jericho Turnpike smith town ny 11766
Cso: 866-282-8047
Email: brandydp at verizon.net
Cell: 304-685-4499